Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"F**k It" Burgers

Sometimes work does a number on a girl’s ability to cook dinner.  There are days when I get home and feel so totally depleted that the very idea of cooking a big dinner (and dealing with the subsequent dishes) is enough to make me want to run and hide under the bed.  And possibly curl up into the fetal position and beg for my mother.
 
Have I mentioned that I’m an adult?  Oy vey.
For those nights, I’ve started developing a series of recipes that allow for a person to say “F**k it, I SO don’t feel up to cooking tonight” while still eating a good meal.  If you occasionally find yourself too exhausted to cook, this simple veggie burger is quick, easy, and nutrient-dense.  It’s cheaper and healthier than take-out, too – so although I might feel like my day chewed me up and spit me out, I know that my bank account and body will both be happier if I forgo the Chinese delivery in favor of a simple but healthy alternative.
F**k It Veggie Burgers
1 Sunshine brand Garden Herb veggie burger
1 Udi’s Gluten-Free Hamburger Bun
½ C frozen sweet potato cubes
Ketchup to taste
1 pinch Celtic sea salt
1 pinch garlic powder
3 (or however many you want) leaves of romaine lettuce
Pepper to taste


Microwave the GF bun for approximately 45 - 60 seconds, just to thaw it out.  Place on tin foil and put under the oven broiler until brown and crispy.

While the bun is toasting, microwave the sweet potato cubes until they’re thawed out and hot.  Mix together with ketchup, salt, pepper, and garlic powder – all of which you can use more or less of to suit your taste.
Microwave the veggie burger for 1 minute (or until hot but not dried out). 
Spread the sweet potato-ketchup mixture on the inside of the toasted bun.  Add lettuce and the veggie burger, and voila:  dinner in under 10 minutes.  That’s far less time than it would take for any restaurant to deliver, and this meal is loaded with vitamin A, protein, fiber, and healthy fats.  It nourishes your body so you can recover from a hellish day – and take the next one by storm.  Or at least not hide under the bed. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment