Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Home-made Tortilla Chips

I often get frustrated with tortilla chips. 

You can spend $4 on a bag of those suckers, but then you open the bag and a) it turns out it was filled with a lot of air and not a lot of chips, and b) what chips were living there have now been smooshed and look more like a pile of crumbs than legit chips.

So, I decided it was high time to make my own. 

And, as it turns out, it's ridiculously easy and incredibly cost-effective.  For $.79, I got a pack of organic corn tortillas at Whole Foods (and you can get bigger packs at other grocery stores).  For $4, I got a shaker of cumin that I'll use for months.  Chip for chip, home-made is a way better deal!


Homemade Tortilla Chips
  • 10 corn tortillas
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Cumin to taste
Use a pizza slicer to cut the tortillas into chip-size portions (on the tortillas I used, this wound up being sixths -- quite possibly the most awkward measurement used thus far in any blog I've ever written).


Lay the pieces onto a cookie sheet.  Using a marinating brush, brush the tortilla pieces with a bit of olive oil (you won't use the whole 1/8 cup, but you need enough to dip the brush into).  Sprinkle with salt and cumin.


Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until browned and crispy.


Once they're cool, they're ready and willing to be dipped into or sprinkled onto just about anything -- salsa, hummus, soup...the list goes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment