Sunday, September 25, 2011

Guiltless Tortilla Pizza

Back in my glutinous days, I loved me some pizza.  I went without it for over two years -- that is, until I met Brandon (AKA: Hubs).  Brandon is a phenomenal cook.  When we started dating, he made all manner of delicious gluten-free food, but GF lasagne and pizza are his forte.  And hot damn, they're delicious.

The only problem, though, is that I have no willpower whatsoever when faced with pizza made from scratch.  Whenever he makes it, I know that I'm ingesting 80 million calories in one sitting -- but I just.  Can't.  Stop.  Myself.  I'll eat the pizza until I'm sporting a huge Buddha belly and I have to change into elastic waistband pants to accommodate my stomach.

Soon after we started dating and almost immediately after I started housing all this delicious pizza, I realized that my thighs were expanding faster than the universe.  My butt was starting to look like it could be its own sovereign nation.  This was a problem.

The solution, obviously, was to cut back on the pizza (which I did) -- but those pizza cravings just wouldn't go away.  Then, I started seeing variations on tortilla pizza around the blogosphere and in a couple of health food magazines.  What a freaking brilliant idea!  I had to try this for myself, and oy, am I ever glad I did -- to whoever originally thought of these things: mad props.

My tortilla pizza is a GF version (duh) and fairly traditional: I use a GF rice tortilla, marinara sauce, spinach, and some Parmesan cheese.  


This, as it turns out, is a perfect use for GF tortillas - while they're the perfect size for making wraps, I find that they crumble faster than a mud hut on the San Andreas fault line.  The pizza allows it to stay flat -- and it gets it all nice and crispy, which is quite fantastic.

Oh, and it's fast -- like, uber-fast -- so it makes for a delicious and guilt-free dinner when you're pressed for time.


No comments:

Post a Comment