Monday, July 25, 2011

Lazy Girl Tostadas

I, um, think I may have mentioned that time is of the essence these days.  There are thank-you cards to write, logistics to coordinate, and all manner of week-before-the-wedding things to do.  I've been whipping up fast, easy (read: lazy) meals that satisfy my need for good food while not putting a huge dent in the time budget, and these tostadas -- which I also tend to cook when I'm homesick and missing good Mexican food -- are the perfect fast but healthy go-to meal.

Lazy Girl Tostadas

Two corn tortillas
Cheddar cheese -- or, for vegan friends, Daiya cheddar cheeze (how much you use depends on how much of a cheese fanatic you are!)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 Cup cooked black beans
1/4 Cup cooked brown rice
1/3 Cup frozen Southwest vegetable blend (onions and red and green peppers)
1/2 Tablespoon cumin
1/4 Tablespoon garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a pan; once hot, saute the peppers and onions until thawed and warm.



Meanwhile, put the cheese/cheeze on top of the tortillas, and place under the oven broiler (I'd either do this on a cookie sheet or, if you're really lazy like I am and can't handle the idea of doing dishes, a sheet of tin foil).



Back to the stovetop while the tortillas crisp-ify and the cheese melts!  Add the cooked beans and rice, cumin, and garlic to the pepper and onion mix.  Saute until everything is well-blended and hot.



Once the cheese is melted and the tortillas are hot, pull them out and scoop the beans/rice/pepper mixture on top.

2 comments:

  1. Hahah! I always use the tin foil I don't want to do dishes thing. :-) I totally hear you on the "I have no time to do anything these days". I've been eating bad take out for a week. Eeek.

    I'm going to make this tonight though, too easy not to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right?! The tin foil is a Godsend. I took one look at the cookie sheets and thought "No. No effing way. I'm going to lose my sh*t if I have to do any more dishes." And girl, I hear you on the take-out. Our neighborhood Thai place now recognizes my phone number and knows my order when I call. :)

    ReplyDelete