Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tropical Banana Soft Serve

My mom is notorious in our family for her love -- nay, adoration -- of bananas.  When I was growing up, bananas were a staple of my diet.  When I grew up and left the nest, nary a visit home nor a phone call could end without my mom's favorite admonition: "Be safe! Get plenty of sleep! Take your vitamins! Eat bananas!"

One of my favorite blogs, Oh She Glows, features variations on a delicious banana soft serve.  (I'm going home for the wedding in two weeks, and I can't wait to make this for my mom.  It may wind up being her favorite dessert ever.)  

As much as my mom loves bananas, though, I love mangoes.  I fell in love with these fabulous fruits when I was living in Israel; I'd never had fresh mango before, but once I did, I was an immediate convert. 

You had me at hello, mangoes.  You had me at hello.

I decided to combine the banana soft serve with some fresh mango and a bit of Coconut Bliss for a tropical dessert -- which seemed fitting, since the heat index here was about 103.  It was light and fluffy, although since I used fresh mango instead of frozen, it wasn't as cold as it could've been.  You might want to try a mix of fresh and frozen (if you do, let me know how it turns out!).  After a long, swampy day, it was just what the doctor ordered.

Tropical Banana Soft Serve
1 fresh mango (or 1/2 fresh mango and 1/2 cup frozen mango)
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup Coconut Bliss

Core and scoop out the mango.  The best way to do this is with what I think might be the greatest invention ever (my apologies to Thomas Edison, the Wright brothers, and Alexander Graham Bell, whose inventions all pale in comparison): the mango pitter.  Mangoes can be squirrely little bastards -- it's hard to work around the core and still get a lot of the fruit.  The mango pitter, however, makes it absurdly easy. 

Directions: place the pitter over the mango and press down.  No joke.  Mango pitter, I <3 you.


Happy happy mango!

Put all the ingredients into a food processor. 

 Blend until smooth (it takes between 1- 2 minutes).  Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. a mango pitter!??!!? where have you been all my life, mango pitter!?

    ReplyDelete