Sunday, October 16, 2011

Food Shopping Confessions

I have a confession to make.

When it comes to food, I'm a serious impulse buyer.  I have to rein in this impulse, like, all the effing time, and I usually do a decent job of it.

Except today.

I went to Whole Foods with a fairly limited list.  However, I was in a mopey mood (work is crushing my spirit, one day at a time).  My defenses were worn down.  I couldn't help it.

The apricot-mango juice and the cashew butter were calling to me.  Asking -- nay, begging -- to be added to my cart.

"Liiiiiiiilllllliiiiiaaaannnn," said the juice, "You know how much you love me!  Remember when you were living in Israel, and Prigat's mango nectar and apricot nectar were two of the most delicious things you'd ever had?  I have both of those!"

The cashew butter, meanwhile, was busy reminding me of the fact that when I was growing up, the natural foods store where my parents shopped had fresh-ground cashew butter.  Which, for the record, was freaking delicious.  I used to freebase that stuff regularly.


And so, my resolve was gone.  I folded like a lawnchair and added both the juice and the cashew butter to my cart.  And although I normally regret impulse buys, I can't say I regret either of these.  I feel a little bit better already. :)

I suspect I'm not the only one who indulges in the occasional impulse buy, though -- does anyone else do this?  If so, what have been your favorite items?

No comments:

Post a Comment