Sunday, October 23, 2011

Homesick Coloradoan Soup

I'm a displaced Colorado girl.  My career, however, necessitates living in DC -- and despite having lived here for almost three years, I'm still adjusting to life away from the Rocky Mountains.  Sometimes (ok, often) a girl gets homesick for her old 'hood.  (Case in point: when we were in Colorado for the wedding, I didn't cry once during or leading up to the big day.  Two days after the wedding, however, when hubs and I were driving around Denver, we went to the Whole Foods near where I went to grad school -- and this prompted a full-on meltdown from yours truly.  I sat in the car and bawled my eyes out, so one could say that it got real in the Whole Foods parking lot.  But I digress.)

When those moments strike, I find that creating some Colorado-esque food helps tremendously.

I happened to have one of those moments this week, just as the weather turned chilly here in DC. What's a girl to do when the mercury is falling and she misses her home turf like woah? She makes some Southwest-inspired soup. It's plant-based and nutrient dense, so it nourishes your body while warming both your belly and your soul. A dual-use technology healing soup, if you will.

Homesick Coloradoan Soup:

1 cups chopped peppers and onions (I used Whole Foods frozen organic Southwest blend)
2 tablespoon ground cumin, or to taste
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano (regular oregano also works well)
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cups red quinoa
14 oz. black beans (if you're using dried beans, be sure to soak them before cooking)
14 oz. chopped tomatoes

Combine all ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes or until the beans and quinoa are tender.  For those who're ok with dairy, this can be served with queso fresco; for those going dairy-free, cheddar Daiya rocks my socks when garnished on this soup.

Et voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment